Hmm..what happens then when love dries up or grows cold, does this mean that we are no longer bound to one another in marriage and we are free to go?"Love and marriage
Love and marriage
Go together like a horse and carriage
This I tell you brother
You can't have one without the other"
Was reading "I, Isaac, take thee, Rebekah" by Ravi Zecharias sometime back and what he shared offers another perspective of love and marriage:
Perhaps, the playwright Thornton Wilder said it well: "I didn't marry you because you were perfect. I didn't even marry you because I loved you. I married you because you gave me a promise. That promise made up for your faults. And the promise I gave you made up for mine. Two imperfect people got married and it was the promise that made the marriage. And when our children were growing up, it wasn't a house that protected them; and it wasn't our love that protected them - it was that promise".
Love then is a command, not just a feeling. Love is as much a question of the will as it is of the emotion. And if you will to love somebody, you can.
It is a sobering thought to realise the full significance of this commitment as you utter your marriage vows with the significant other. Although I think I know what marriage is supposed to be, don't think I have internalized this fully. Being able to remain with someone through thick and thin, good and bad is really a challenge to uphold.
As Ed and I start our marriage prep, am quite sure we are going to touch on sensitive issues as well as trash out as-yet unresolved stuff even while learning how to love each other more. I am also acutely aware that it is so easy to start taking each other for granted. Looks like I have 9 more months to learn about being a wife and what makes a marriage.
Who knows, after this I might actually be able to write a handbook. *grin*
No comments:
Post a Comment