Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2013

When I'm 64

Courtesy of http://layladylele.blogspot.com/2010/01/when-im-64.html

My dad turned 64 today and sent us the following youtube of a popular Beatles song:


Must confess, I was alittle taken aback by the number. While I knew my dad was past 60, I guess it didn't quite dawn on me that he was really as old as that song. In fact, it was yet another reminder for me that he isn't as young or energetic as before and age has really caught up with him. Everytime I see him, I'm alittle shocked at the rate at which he is aging. While I had reserved the term elderly for people like my grandmother, I'm beginning to realise that very soon, my parents would belong to this category.

I'm ever mindful that time with them is fleeting and I should really make a greater effort to spend more time with them whenever I can. Granted, my dad irritates me sometimes with his strange (to me) habits. But he is my dad and I'm ever thankful for his presence in my life the past 32 years.

Whenever I think about the limited time that I have, I get alittle stressed as I do want him to have as much time as possible with his to-be-born grandchildren. Unfortunately, this remains something in the horizon for now as I finish up my MBA. And I'm once again getting ahead of myself.

For now, I just want to be more intentional in engaging him in view that it's the here and now that matters. It's time for this less than filial daughter to show him alittle more appreciation.

No comments: