Pages

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Traipsing to Ion

My obsession with Japanese food continues at the newly opened Ion which I battled the crowds for just to check out all those new restaurants:

Aoba Ramen

In view of the long queues, was expecting myself to be blown away by a bowl of delicious hokkaido ramen. Unfortunately, the food was a tad disappointing especially when it came to the ramen test. Although the grilled chicken was alright while the agedashi tofu was passable, I won't be back for awhile. And definitely not if it means waiting 30 min just to fill my tummy. Nevertheless, feast on the pictures which look better than they taste:

Dinner repertoire: grilled chicken, hokkaido ramen and agedashi tofu

Sho Teppan

During my second visit, I decided to settle for this casual do-it-yourself teppanyaki eatery as the queues seemed to be moving alot faster. This restaurant makes a great stop for those seeking a speedy lunch as the service is really prompt while they make it a point to deliver your food within the time it takes for a mini hour glass to empty itself.

Food wise, it was fun cooking ourselves while I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't come out smelling of what I ate. This is a great fuss-free concept and made a satisfying meal. Would not recommend dining here if you are in a large group though as one usually ends up sitting by the bar counter. Best for small intimate groups of 2-3 if you want an inclusive conversation.


Sukiyaki delights!

Time to tuck in...

Watami

This was one of those places which I really needed to persevere in dining at. After two failed attempts (due to long queues and springcleaning of the restaurant), I finally managed to get myself a table at Watami.

Glad to say, this was worth the wait. On my first visit, my seafood cold ramen with peanut sauce (hiyashi ramen) was absolutely scrumptious while the sides we ordered for sharing were also great tummy fillers. The Wafu pizza and Teppan Bou Gyoza are definitely must-shares!

In addition, the Yuzu soda is really refreshing and has inspired me to create my own version with soda water (just a thought for now). If one is craving for some rice, then the bibimbap is another good option.

Feasting at Watami [clockwise from top]: Chashu ramen and small chirashi set, Kaisen Hiyashi Ramen, Sukiyaki Teishoku and Tsukune Kushi

As you might have guessed, this is a great casual dining eatery worth returning to again and again. *satiated sniffs*

No comments: