Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Unwinding at Level 33

This was one of those places where we had talked about for the longest time but somehow never got round to visiting till now. After hearing Rui rave about their fat chips (I mean, how tasty can fries get), was really looking forward to unwinding at Level 33 with ex-division mates as we commiserated about work and cheered ourselves up.

Known for its craft beers, my blond lager was a pleasant thirst quencher. As I happily sipped my beer and perused the menu, it was quite a delightful read as greedy me struggled to decide on what to order.

While the food was decent and the meal highlight for me was the Pig & Snail, a concoction of braised pig tail and escargot (REALLY good!), the other starters/mains were good but not great. Think the greatest disappointment (for me) was the Fat Fries. Although it was a great pairing as part of the Fish & Chips order, it was somehow less spectacular as a standalone side. Ironically, it was too fat for me. (Spruce does this alot better actually and shall rave more in a later post.)

Desserts wise, the platter was awesome for chocoholics while the strawberry cheesecake was interesting but a tad "mushy" for my tastebuds.

Many small plates to share [top, left-right]: fat fries, pig & snail, scotch quail eggs stuffed with sausage meat and branston pickle, bite-sized fish and chips.
[bottom, left-right]: crunchy fried peppered drumlets and fresh lime, 33.1 blond lager, strawberry cheese cake.

Dessert platter: sinful truffles with a variety of dips. No surprises that my favourites were nutella and nuts while the grated coconut added a nice crunch to my truffle.

Verdict: While prices are on the higher end of the spectrum and we would have liked larger sharing portions, this restaurant cum bar offers decent food with a great view to boot! Alas, I forgot to check out the supposedly awesome view (I know, what was I thinking!?). Nevertheless, a place one should visit at least once and I would be open to returning to this pitstop for beer (Hooray to Happy Hour!) rather than a full meal.

No comments: