Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A Walk Down Duxton Hill


The Original Jackson Plan
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Plan
Duxton Hill has changed dramatically in recent years with a number of restaurants popping up and it is now bustling with new energy. Having heard about its transformation, decided to head down and check out the vibe as well as take the opportunity to work my way through the row of restaurants starting with The Jackson Plan.

Referencing an early attempt by Lieutenant Philip Jackson to develop an urban plan for Singapore, this namesake puts an Asian touch to quintessential British cuisine. Housed in a lovely shophouse, I was really looking forward to hearty pub grub and a glass of freshly brewed beer.

Of the mains we ordered, I really liked the fisherman's pie while the crab cakes topped with an oh-so-cute quail's egg was a good appetite whetter. Sides wise, the real chips aka fat fries were surprisingly delicious (in view that I like my fries skinny and crunchy). The mushy peas were too (for lack of a better word) English for me and a tad bland. When we shared this with the waiting staff, turned out this was deliberately so, which was thumbs down for a salt freak like me.

Desserts wise, we were too stuffed to try more but I did recall being quite indecisive as I perused the entire selection. While we finally decided on the apple tarte which was a calorie-worthy choice, will set aside more stomach space for the other desserts next trip.

Sharing portions [from top-right, clockwise]: a side dish that has now slipped my mind with green mushy peas, Crab cakes topped with quail eggs and anchovy cream, Fisherman's pie and real chips

Sizeable apple tarte and honeycomb ice cream

While there was some hits and misses, this would be a place I wouldn't mind returning to when I want a nice place to chill out at fairly affordable prices. Besides, I still need to try out all those other restaurants!

No comments: